Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Our Dinner Tonight: Turkey Delight

Tonight, I made a recipe that I have made many times. I've been making it since I was a child. But this was the first time I've made it in a long time, and I made an important change in it.

My two youngest children have autism, and about 2 years ago we switched to a new pediatrician who is very interested in autism and in particular he subscribes to a lot of methods used in the DAN philosophy (Defeat Autism Now). We haven't been able to follow everything he has suggested (vitamin B12 shots at home, organic food), but one we have followed pretty well is to avoid fish or seafood, due to the possibility that mercury contributes to their symptoms. So we don't have tuna, fishsticks, anything that is fish or seafood when we are at home. At first it was hard because D's favorite lunch food was a tuna fish sandwich. We've had to switch him to other meats. For a while it was Spam Spread, and now it is canned chicken or turkey with mayo.

So back to my story, I haven't made this particular casserole in a long time because the original recipe calls for tuna fish. But finally I thought I'd try it with turkey. And it was pretty good! So here is the recipe:

Turkey Delight (original recipe with tuna in parentheses)

1 large can turkey or chicken meat (2 cans tuna)
2 cans cream of chicken soup (2 cans cream of mushroom soup)
1/2 cup milk
1 large bag potato chips (10-12 oz.)

Crush the potato chips. You can do this by opening the bag and then crushing the chips right inside the bag, or by putting it in a bowl and letting the kids mash it up with their clean hands. Next, add the remaining ingredients and mix it all up. Add a little more milk if it is too dry. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Put casserole in pan and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

When we were still making this with tuna, we found that we liked the flavor a little better if we used 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of chicken. I might try this next time with one can of each, just to see what it's like.

It seems weird to put potato chips in a casserole but it's really good! I hope you'll try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment